Alexa is the name of the cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future.
We are looking for an outstanding Data Engineer who is looking to work in a new space to help define how we use multi-modal data (voice, mobile) to understand customer behaviour and satisfaction.
As a Data Engineer within the Alexa Mobile team, you will
1. Partner with Product Managers, BI Engineers and/or Data Scientists to build high quality data products that help our stakeholders answer a wide array of questions.
2. Lead/partner with other Data Engineers within the team to build a scalable modern data stack to support the fast growing businesses analytical needs.
Key job responsibilities
- Work with the product and development teams within Mobile App to understand the product vision and requirements.
- Work with Product Managers, BI engineers and Software Engineers to design, implement and support high quality data products.
- Partner with other teams across Amazon to ingest relevant datasets into the Alexa Mobile BI data-warehouse.
- Collaborate with other data engineers within the team to build a data platform that is self-service and possesses key capabilities like data discovery, data lineage, proactive data monitoring and security/compliance monitoring.
- Leverage and manage AWS services like S3, Redshift, Athena, Kinesis, Lambda, Data Lake etc..
- Conduct workshops and lunch-n-learn sessions to educate customers on product capabilities.
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
- Experience in SQL
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- 5+ years of industry experience, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience handling big data volumes (billions of records per day)
- 3+ years of experience using business intelligence reporting tools (Tableau, Business Objects, Cognos, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies – Redshift, S3, EC2, Data-pipeline and other big data technologies
- Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers on best practices pertaining to data engineering
- Familiarity with non-relational databases / data stores (object storage, document or key-value stores, graph databases, column-family databases)
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
About the team
The Alexa Mobile BI team is the BI/Analytics team that supports the Alexa Mobile business. We are responsible for building data products (datasets, dashboards, ML models) and the underlying data platform, that enable the business to make informed decisions.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.