Come join the team behind Alexa, building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. You can help us invent the future. As a member of our team, you will be responsible for leading the development and launch of core product features. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, driving the system architecture, and spearheading best practices to enable a superior product.
A day in the life
As a Software Development Manager you will lead the development of highly-visible and delightful customer facing products and services. Your work will involve cloud services, applications and data services to enable voice user interfaces, graphical interfaces that Alexa users touch. You will be responsible to increase the power and flexibility of Automations which includes increasing the number of triggers & actions.
About the hiring group
A lot of Alexa customers know that they can ask Alexa questions and she will respond. However, the Automation Platform charter is to enable proactive experiences that happen "automatically" without the customer asking for them. If you have used Routines in Alexa's Mobile App, you have used the Automation Platform.
The right candidate will enjoy finding solutions to hard problems, working with other teams to build scalable solutions, and growing the career of your team of engineers. You should be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, and build mechanisms to keep programs on track, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. It also includes working closely with product managers to help shape the customer experience. You will use extensively AWS technologies, learning a lot about Internet-of-Things (IoT).
• Own development of products end-to-end
• Provide technical direction within their team, and influence technical direction of stakeholder teams
• Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps
• Innovate on the platform to support intelligent and delightful customer experiences worldwide
• Manage a team of talented developers focused on creating and evolving the complex back-end infrastructure
• Partner with Product Mangers and TPMs to accelerate growth of Routines customers and overall Alexa.
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
· Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience taking a leading role in building back-end distributed systems and/or developing large scale mobile applications
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control, testing, and operational excellence
• Experience in Smart Home or IoT
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals including external partners
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience mentoring junior and senior software engineers to improve their skills and advance their careers
• Experience developing and launching products that require collaboration between cross-functional tech teams.
• Experienced in Agile or Scrum software development methodologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us/