At BBC UX&D we design experiences for the audience of tomorrow and deliver them to the audience of today. And we’ve won plenty of awards for our efforts.
We need a User Experience Designer to join our Voice and AI team and who will assist in enabling us to deliver extraordinary experiences that will reinvent the BBC for a new generation.
You’ll join a centre of excellence for user experience and design, working with the best in the business. Collaborating strategically with technical, editorial and product teams from across the BBC, you are able to harness innovation and new technology to create delightful experiences.
Your strong UX and UI design capabilities will be complemented by a solid foundation of development skills enabling you to prototype for new and emerging technologies.
You are able to learn new things quickly and comfortable with change and motivated by using technology as a means to achieve creative solutions that meet user needs.
You pride yourself on adaptability, switching between design thinking and a development mentality as the project requires. Working hand-in-hand with developers, designing, prototyping, experimenting and stretching technology to surprise and excite people is your forte.
About the team
BBC Voice + AI is building a new and swiftly growing multi-disciplinary team in the BBC’s Scottish headquarters in Glasgow. The aim is to build a national centre of excellence with specific expertise in this rapidly growing and evolving area of engineering. You will be based in Pacific Quay, the BBC's flagship site situated just outside Glasgow on the River Clyde, opposite the SECC and next to the Science Centre.
Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with Internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the Internet is changing, fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our audience and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the Internet across the country. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice + AI team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
• Collaboration with other team members to get to the heart of what the users need - creating sketches, concepts, user journeys, storyboarding, script writing, wireframes and navigational prototypes
• Designing for multiple platforms and touch points
• A foundation in using data to inform design decisions
• Developing user experiences considering relevant practice and theory
• Sharing design expertise and ideas with people from design, product, editorial and technical teams
• Working with teams to make sure the division is making the most of the BBC’s Global Experience Language
• Working with external agencies to learn new things, see new perspectives and create new ideas
• Proactively trying out ideas and designs with audience members and end-users to make sure they’re meeting real user needs
Are you the right candidate?
• Portfolio evidence of impressive work across different screens and modality
• Evidence of successfully collaborating and sharing your ideas with absolutely anyone
• Keep pace with latest design trends and technology developments
• You’re not afraid to try out different methods, approaches and styles
• Design degree or equivalent on the job experience.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.