The Semantic Machines group is bringing next-generation natural language processing (NLP) technologies to products used by hundreds of millions of people worldwide. Our team is pushing the boundaries of NLP and machine learning through a product-focused engineering team working closely with experts from research groups across the country. You can hear more about how Microsoft is using this technology to create entirely new kinds of user experiences here: http://semanticmachines.com/.
At the core of our platform are a set of machine learning models designed to translate human commands into programs. We are looking for applied scientists to work alongside research and product teams to improve the quality and guide the evolution of these models, which are powering our production experiences. The ideal candidate should be passionate about user experience, iteration speed, and engineering culture.
• In partnership with product teams, improve and maintain the machine learning models powering our production experiences.
• Create tools and processes for visualizing/exploring product usage, system behavior, datasets, and internal model representations.
• Optimize performance characteristics of model training and inference.
• Design and build tooling and documentation that improves the experience of users developing on our platform.
• Collaborate with researchers in experimenting with and implementing entirely new modeling approaches.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
• 3+ years of professional experience in a software engineer or similar role.
• Proven ability to take ownership of machine learning and software projects, including collecting feedback and requirements, collaborating with stakeholders, producing technical designs, and iterating on the resulting systems over time.
• Demonstrated skill to build understandable, flexible, and performant code.
• Excellent technical communication and collaboration skills.
• (Preferably) Experience in technologies we use, including Typescript, React, and Scala/Java, as well as machine learning, natural language processing, or dialogue systems.
• (Preferably) Familiarity with functional programming and static type systems.
• (Preferably) Experience with deep learning software platforms, such as PyTorch or TensorFlow.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.