Volley is looking for an intern who is passionate about building games and innovative experiences on Alexa. The intern will work closely with the development team to create engaging and entertaining content for users.
In this role, the intern will be responsible for assisting with the development of games and other experiences for Alexa. This may include tasks such as implementing game mechanics, adding audio and visual elements, and improving the performance of the product.
The intern should be a creative and collaborative team player, with excellent communication and problem-solving skills. A background in computer science or a related field is preferred.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an aspiring game developer to gain hands-on experience working on a cutting-edge platform.
Please note, this is a paid onsite Summer Internship that will last from June to August.
What you'll do
- Work on products that reach millions of active users
- Take advantage of our powerful engine to build and iterate quickly... focusing on writing logic, not boilerplate
- Create well-designed APIs that are consumed by all sorts of platforms
- Work on best-in-class voice-controlled products that are social, engaging, and fun to play
Stuff you may have done before
- Built consumer-facing apps or games at scale
- Architected, implemented, and documented multiplatform APIs
- Managed Automation & Deployment
- Contributed to open-source frameworks
- Operated in environments with fast development cycles focused on rapid product iteration
- Been part of a high-performing engineering team
- 2+ years of professional coding experience
- Experience with modern NodeJS and/or Typescript or other strongly typed languages
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Volley's own custom-built engine, designed by a rocket scientist :-)
- Typescript, Node, & Next.js
- Kotlin Multiplatform
- Kubernetes & Terraform
The hiring process
- Stage 1 (Take Home Assessment)
- Stage 2 (Recruiter Screen)
- Stage 3 (Hiring Manager Interview)
- Stage 4 (Offer)
What's in it for you
- Paid internship opportunity
- You will receive a work laptop upon starting at Volley
- Up to $250 per month for the commute (Lyft, BART, muni, gas, parking, etc).
- Volley provides lunch in offices M, T, W & F, and more!
Volley, named one of Y Combinator's Top Companies
, develops voice-controlled games and entertainment apps for Amazon Alexa and Google Home. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars. Our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!