The Innovation Lab is part of the University's Research & Development department. We are tasked with the mission of reimagining the education experience by infusing leading-edge technology, content and methodologies leading into exceptional and enduring student outcomes.
- Reporting directly to the University Director of Innovation, the Lead Software Developer, Conversational AI is responsible for all conversational AI initiatives aimed at revolutionizing the way our students interact with university through chatbots and digital humans. The Lead Software Developer, Conversational AI will be in charge of the design and development of conversational initiatives in a way that supports student goals (academic or service oriented).
- As a team lead, this role will manage internal as well as external resources in order to create effective experiences representative of the voice and personality of the institution. The lead engineer will also work with Innovation Lab staff and subject matter experts to collect and validate data to support the stage gate approach of validating new ideas, content, technologies, and products. Additionally, this role work with departments across the university to improve the processes and technologies necessary to create state of the art interactions through chatbots and our AI powered digital persona; which is not just chatbots but a Digital Human which is expected to be highly conversational, interactive, and engaging.
- Lead architecture, development, and implementation of conversational AI projects.
- Create a scalable multi-bot experience and conversational flows that optimize the student experience.
- Lead projects through stage-gate process by partnering with Innovation Lab staff and faculty to collect quantitative and qualitative data ensuring that each project provides a measurable value to our students.
- Manage internal and external resources assigned to conversational AI initiatives by creating an effective team capable of the designing, development, supporting, and scaling AI initiatives which have a positive impact on the student experience.
- Design, test, and develop authenticated sessions for personalized student experiences through scalable and secure integrations to/from other software such as SIS, LMS, live agent transfer, or telephony routing.
- Exploration, creation, and optimization of intents, utterances, entities, and other conversational elements to build engaging conversation flows which provide value to the students.
- Create and maintain technical and functional documentation and build best practices for support and maintenance.
- Manage developers/designers assigned to the team including interviewing, selection, counseling, mentoring, and evaluation to ensure effective performance, and engagement.
- Identify opportunities for staff development such as seminars, specialized training and mentorship.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience in conversational AI engineering.
- 5+ years overall experience in a related field, including the following:
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in chatbot/voicebot development, conversational AI, or software engineering.
- 2+ Experience design, building, and maintaining conversational NLU/NLP systems such as Dialog.
- Flow, IBM Watson Conversation, api.ai, or Microsoft LUIS.
- Experience in one of the following languages: Python, Java, Node.js, or Java Script.
- 2+ years of technical project management from inception to implementation
- Research related to innovation or innovation management.
- Experience in chatbot research and design.
- Leading or managing junior engineer(s).
- Experience conversational AI corpus design.
- Proficient in writing technical documents and project reports.
- Tuning chatbot applications for non-functional requirements, i.e., usability, maintainability, scalability, availability, security, portability, etc.
- Ability to write queries to relational and NoSQL datastores.
- Familiarity with frontend web technologies, particularly React or Angular.
- Experience using cloud offerings and solutions (Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, or Amazon AWS).
- Ability to architect scalable conversational AI automation solutions in authenticated sessions with API based transactions.
- Hands-on work ethic, with the ability to adapt to rapidly prototype and adapt to changes in a fast-paced environment.
- A consumer of new technology and a keen interest to explore emerging trends.
- Experience collaborating with customers and users from a diverse range of cultural backgrounds, technical expertise, and education levels.
- Proven experience establishing strong working relationships with a wide range of team members and clients.
- Proven analytical abilities.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Customer-first mentality with a collaborative design approach and positive attitude.
- Technical BA skills / experience writing functional specifications and the ability to 'talk technical' highly desirable.
- Experience with stage-gate innovation framework workflow.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.