Interested in Amazon Alexa, Machine Learning and Analytics? We own the analytics platform which provides key information for the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Alexa and other Amazon products and services. Come join us!
About the position:
Our spoken language understanding analytics product group is responsible for building a portal to quickly & accurately evaluate Alexa performance metrics at scale. Our goal is to provide actionable insights to Alexa developers to improve the customer experience for Alexa end-users. We are building a service oriented architecture to make this happen and want your help with system design, managing parallel engineering efforts, and delivering business-critical metrics and insights to Alexa developers.
We are looking for an experienced software development leader who will manage and grow a team of top notch data engineers to build business critical data warehouses, data bases, ETL pipelines, and data vending mechanisms at big data scale. These data foundations are critical to delivering against our analytics platform products, platform components and integrations with other systems.
Do you have experience in big data and building architectures to store, compute, transform, and vend data?
Are you a leader who thrives in a rapidly changing environments and loves to define paths forward?
Do you love to challenge the status quo and rethink new norms?
Do you enjoy the challenges of a highly complex critical business contexts that typically gets defined in real time?
Are you an engineering leader that loves to establish elegant solutions and high standards in anything you build?
Are you an engineering leader who provides both product-side solutions architecture contributions to your team as well as low-level contributions like code reviews, design and bug fix suggestions, and active coaching day to day?
Do you love to build teams and cultivate talent to set a new bar?
Do you crave working with world class talent to solve complex problems?
Is absolute and extreme ownership your thing and delivering strong results your second nature?
If you answered yes to the above, then this opportunity is for you to explore!
As a leader on this team, you will influence and drive architectural and design choices and develop world-class data bases, pipelines, and analytics products. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy as you work with a small team of subject matter experts and engineers to define features, system architecture, best practices. Our team culture encourages diversity, innovation, and operational excellence and we expect engineers and management alike to take a high level of ownership for the product vision, technical architecture and product delivery. We need a leader who can cut through the noise, passionately simplify, deliver results, and manage a diverse team.
• 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
• Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Strong business judgment and record of making the right decisions
• Experience hiring and developing engineers
• Experience simplifying both processes and technical implementations
• Passion for insisting on high standards (to the point that most other people would think they are being unreasonable)
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Experience delivering large, multi-year projects on time
• Deep understanding of software engineering best practices
• Ability to write clearly and concisely
• Bachelor degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, MBA or advanced degree preferred
• Experience managing engineers across multiple locations
• Track record of building and delivering critical, 24x7 production systems
• Experience with Amazon Web Services
• Deep understanding of enterprise systems and data integration
• Deep understanding of agile project management methodologies
• Experience writing production code
• Experience with global technology implementation efforts
• Experience with software quality assurance and performance testing