As a Sr. Technical Program Manager in Alexa's Speech Recognition organization, you will drive programs across the organization bringing new speech technologies from science concept into the hands of Alexa customers worldwide. You will work across multiple speech recognition technologies including speech to text (ASR), speaker identification, acoustic language identification, and more. You will work across engineering and science teams to gather requirements, build and align technical design, build large cross-team development plans, drive development schedules, and own executive communication. You will work with cloud engineers to ensure new components work at Amazon scale and integrate cleanly into the broader Alexa infrastructure. You will work with speech scientists and ASR runtime engineering specialists to translate new experimental approaches into performant and scalable systems combining highly optimized code and performant machine learning models. You will work with deep learning teams building software enabling performant neural network inference and a variety of model building techniques.
The right candidate has a strong technical background, enjoys inventing solutions to complex problems, and has experience managing large multi-faceted programs. Background with AI or machine learning systems is important. This includes being able to identify opportunities, define appropriate performance measurements, and look around the corner for potential risks. Strengths in negotiation, ability to influence, analytical mindset, and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Your background and who you are: You have experience reliably delivering high-quality, distributed, testable, and scalable software. You are driven by delivering value to your customer. You love to work with teams that are always raising the bar. You believe that a team is strongest when it is diverse and includes multiple perspectives. You enjoy the challenges of highly technical problems that you define and solve in real time. You believe that there are multiple ways to solve a problem, each with different trade-offs. You don't typically think in terms of the "right" or "wrong" way to do something, but rather the most effective path given the current constraints. You are excited by the technical challenges of large scale service development from architectural design, to implementation, to operations. You put yourself into your customer’s shoes and immerse yourself in the customer experience to understand how to serve them better. You've made mistakes in the past, have learned a lot from them, and apply these learnings regularly. You want to have an impact on a hugely successful and growing product that improves people’s lives.
- 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
- Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- 5+ years of technical program management experience
- Understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures, and algorithms
- Exposure to AI or machine learning systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience developing cloud and distributed software services and an understanding of design for security, availability, and performance.
- Experience in speech recognition or related machine learning field such as computer vision, machine translation, natural language understanding, or text to speech.
- Experience working with Agile software development in a large organization across multiple geographically distributed teams.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
- Proven results and a history of project delivery.
- Master’s degree or MBA
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us