Zendesk is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Chat Platform team. We focus on delivering the best experience for our largest customers and experimenting with opportunities for accelerated growth. Zendesk’s customer base is growing fast and you will be able to make outstanding contributions to a product that is used by millions of people every day!
We work with a high degree of autonomy and achieves high velocity by combining designers, test engineers, product managers, and software engineers collaborating together.
Senior Software Engineers at Zendesk are encouraged to be hands-on technologists who can contribute to application development directly, play a part in the design and implementation of projects, and be involved in technical discussions beyond their teams. You should love finding elegant solutions to complex problems, and care about not only the technical and algorithmic aspects of large systems but the way they enable other developers to do their jobs. Previous experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, or component-centric software engineering is a strong plus.
What you’ll be doing
• Work on a Chat platform backend serving millions of users daily.
• Guide the team on technical design discussions and propose innovative solutions on backend components.
• Ensure scalability, performance, maintainability, and security of the technical platform in collaboration with SRE teams.
• Build POCs to test candidate technologies and make informed decisions.
• Collaborate with the Product Manager, the Team Lead, and the • Tech Lead to provide technical insights and early estimates on upcoming projects.
• Educate other developers through pairing sessions, and code reviews.
• Become a key contributor to better working practices across Zendesk!
What you bring to the role
• You have delivered enterprise-grade software as part of a cloud-based company or business unit.
• You are independent, self-motivated, and a good team member at the same time.
• You have reasonable communication skills: able to explain a technical concept in an accurate and understandable way.
• You put the customer first and respect your dedication to deliver.
• You have hands-on experience with developing event driven microservices using technologies similar to Apache Kafka.
• You have knowledge of AWS distributed services.
• You have personal projects, collaboration with open-source communities, or active learning initiatives to showcase your passion for technology.
• Redis, Mysql, AWS Aurora
• Apache Kafka
• Docker, Kubernetes
Culture and Perks
We have 200+ staff in our Singapore office which is home to our highly successful chat product. We approach work with calm, focus, a sense of humour whilst keeping sane working hours. You will work with supportive peers that truly care about our customers and deliver value for them. At Zendesk we also have a culture where ideas come from the bottom up - we have yearly company hackathons!
Perks include stock, flexible working, $1500 training allowance, medical insurance coverage for you and your family, mobile phone allowance, home internet reimbursement, wfh equipment budget, and 4 months parental leave.