Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. We’re looking for a Software Development Engineer to help build industry-leading conversational technologies that customers love. A little about the product : Alexa Conversations is a deep learning-based approach to creating conversational skills for Alexa. We have created a new declarative language called Alexa Conversations Description Language (ACDL) which enables Alexa developers to author rich conversational experiences. This product is currently in public beta. You can find more about the product here https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/conversations/how-alexa-conversations-works.html . If you are interested in compilers or platform features to improve Alexa developer efficiency or making Alexa more natural and friend-like please apply to join our team!
A day in the life
1. Helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
2. Working with scientists and other engineers to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology, and evaluate technical feasibility
3. Operate in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
As an experienced Software Development Engineer joining the Alexa team, you will contribute to the vision of making Alexa more friend like and contribute to create new projects that improve the Alexa conversations platform. You will collaborate closely with ML scientists to innovate. You will work among a team of talented engineers in a collaborative environment. You will influence our overall strategy and define the team’s roadmap. You will help shape the system architecture, promote development best practice, and help us deliver the highest quality product to our customers. A successful candidate has a passion for learning and innovation, experience in engineering large scale software systems, as well as strong technical and communication skills. Existing education or experience in of research domains including AI, NLU, ML, and Dialog Management is a plus.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities
• Ability to prototype and evaluate applications and interaction methodologies
• Ability to produce code that is fault-tolerant, efficient, and maintainable
• Academic and/or industry experience with standard AI and ML techniques, NLU, and scientific thinking
• Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
• Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly
• Written and verbal technical communication skills with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences