We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a talented Computational Linguist or Natural Language Processing (NLP) Engineer to work with one of the region’s most innovative and in demand tech companies. We have world-leading customers such as Unilever, P&G, HSBC and Sky using our product – and core to all of this is language data.
The candidate for this role will be a core member of the data science team. The responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the development, testing and documentation of new and improved forms of language analysis that will contribute to our NLP pipeline and models.
We are looking for someone who is independent, self-confident, and takes initiative when solving complex data science and NLP problems. The ideal candidate always actively looks for ways to improve things. Furthermore, we need someone who is always willing to learn because there is no way to know everything in this rapidly changing field. Also, because we believe that
NLP solutions are not universal across languages, ideally you will have experience working with languages other than English and/or be multilingual.
You will be working closely with the Head of Data Science, data science team, and back-end development team to implement new and improved libraries.
• Develop, improve, and document new analysis modules, machine learning models and rule based systems
• Understand solutions aimed at the development of our NLP pipelines using all aspects ofNLU and text processing including design, architecture, algorithms, and performance
• Be able to work with and develop an existing codebase
• Work with Head of Data Science and Development team to implement NLP and analysis libraries
• Communicate and visualise linguistic and NLP concepts in a clear way
• Explore and develop new technologies and methods as part of the core R&D team
What we’d like to see
• A postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Computational Linguistics, Linguistics, NLP,
• Strong Python proficiency. Working with production code is a plus.
• Strong fluency in NLP algorithms, libraries, and tools (BERT, spaCy, NLTK, dependency parsers, etc).
• Strong knowledge of and experience working with machine learning frameworks and pipelines like Tensorflow and scikit-learn.
• Self-Sufficient and problem solver.
• Ability to develop new approaches, prototype and evaluate them.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to explain approaches to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
• Confidence with agile development practices and fast paced start-up environments.
• Someone who’s naturally motivated, a critical thinker and has a genuine passion for our product.
Nice to haves
• 1+ years of experience in related field
• Experience working with languages other than English
• Good software engineering practices such as version control (Bitbucket or similar with GitFlow) and software patterns
• Experience using Atlassian tools or equivalent
• Proficient with Unix
• Research or practical experience in NLU
• Competitive Salary
• Chance to live in beautiful Lancaster, UK with great connections and views to the Lake District.
• Individual training budget for professional development
• Opportunity to take on more responsibility as we are still a small company and are growing rapidly with expansion into the US