Discovery is looking for an innovative, hands-on, customer-obsessed Vice President of Product for the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer business for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and a Chip and Jo Gaines. In this role you will lead the launch and ongoing development of new digital and direct-to-consumer products, including websites and applications across popular platforms, such as Apple, Android, Amazon, Roku, and others. You will be a strategic partner to Magnolia leadership to improve the lives of Magnolia customers through new products across mobile, tablets, web, connected TVs, voice, and other emerging technologies. As the VP, Product you will combine the inspiration of the Magnolia brand with a data-driven approach to bring to life compelling experiences that delight customers and increase engagement. You will lead the creation of products that solve practical problems for customers, while inspiring them and improving their everyday lives.
The VP, Product will lead the design, creation, and ongoing improvement of new digital and direct-to-consumer products for Magnolia. They will lead product planning and prioritization, user research, and the user experience design necessary to deliver product features that increase engagement, delight customers, and create passionate and loyal fans. They will lead effective product development processes that starts with the customer. They will develop innovative product features, implement scalable ecommerce solutions, and ensure an end-to-end world class product experience. They will work with engineering leaders to prioritize, build, and enhance key features. They will establish operating processes to drive systematic improvements to the product based on customer feedback, needs, and behavior.
An ideal candidate will be excited about the Magnolia brand and what Chip and Jo Gaines’s vision can deliver for customers. They will have a successful track record of owning and driving a complex product portfolio, have proven leadership experience in managing large customer-facing projects and bring relevant insights in technology. They will be a creative problem-solver and sought-out decision maker with insatiable curiosity. They are a leader that teams love to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record of delivering products that customers love. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• Customer Empathy: Exhibit passion and deep understanding to prioritize and meet the needs of Magnolia customers. Be the voice of the customer, understand their ongoing needs, and be accountable for delivery against those needs.
• Product Vision: Establish a customer-centric vision for Magnolia digital and direct-to-consumer products with the Magnolia leadership team that meets key customer needs and delivers compelling experiences. Build trust and inspire teams to align around a common vision that delivers on long-term product and business strategy.
• Leadership: Set direction for the product team, evangelizing a clear vision for success and guide teams to impact. Attract, develop, and motivate an expert team of product managers, helping them enhance their skills and grow their careers. Build an innovative and disciplined team culture that builds trust, encourages collaborations, maintains strong accountability, delivers results, increases employee engagement, and has fun.
• Collaborate & Partner: Be a highly respected senior partner and thought leader, working skillfully across teams and functions to deliver world-class digital and direct to consumer products - including business, design, engineering, data science, content and marketing leaders.
• Build for Scale: Create and deliver solutions, processes and mechanisms to build for scale and ensure products meet customer needs.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering or relevant field
• 7+ years’ work experience in product management job function in technology, ecommerce, media, or relevant industries
• Experience leading and growing product management teams
Experience working with a cross-functional team across engineering, design, business, and marketing
• Experience leading product development from start to finish, including shipping customer-facing products and driving alignment around a vision and priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering or relevant field
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Excellent track record of product leadership and shaping business strategy for customer facing products
• Experience leading complex digital and direct to consumer products through multiple lifecycles
• Experience navigating through ambiguous problems, especially where the product strategy, roadmap and technology approach may not be known or defined
• Experience removing roadblocks, making complex tradeoffs and high judgement decisions, managing risk and shipping on time
• Experience fully utilizing the competencies of engineering, design, and business teams
• Comfortable working in a fast-changing environment where continuous innovation is desired
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform priorities and tradeoffs, solve complex problems and develop business cases
• High attention to detail and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
• Proven track record of taking ownership, doing what’s necessary and driving results
• Master’s degree in business, technical or related field
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.