The Connected Devices team serves as the virtual device driver of Alexa. We provide the foundational services for millions of Alexa devices – connectivity from device to cloud, capability catalogs to manage device capabilities, APIs, highly scalable solutions for discovery, provisioning and maintaining the state and history of devices. We enable devices to connect to Alexa, and we make it easy for applications to use those devices. We focus on generating leverage for device and application developers, while reducing friction for end customers. For device developers, we offer Device Integration APIs to allow any device to connect to Alexa. For consumers, we deliver an intuitive, highly reliable, and low latency experience when interacting with one or more Alexa-connected devices.
We're seeking a Sr. Software Development Manager for the Alexa Connected Devices team to lead the development of highly-visible core infrastructure that manages all internal and third-party smart devices. Our goal is to make the experience of all our partners and developers developing new Alexa enabled devices to be extremely simple allowing rapid innovation in the whole Alexa eco-system.
Some info about this opportunity and our team:
• The changes we make directly impact the customer experience usage of smart devices.
• This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Amazon Alexa – with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
• You will drive project execution, recruit, hire, and develop the industry’s top engineering talent.
• This is a great position for someone who likes backend development, Amazon Web Services, and Service-Oriented Architecture.
• We’re looking for candidates that have acted as a technical leader and built high-performance, scalable and robust systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment.
The Sr. Software Development Manager will:
• Own development of their product end-to-end
• Provide technical direction
• Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps for the business
• Continue to innovate on the framework to support state management of smart devices worldwide
• Manage multiple development teams focused on creating the complex back-end infrastructure
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability
The ideal candidate has a track record of launching projects with Java/C#, C++, Perl, and distributed computing technologies on a Linux platform.
• 10+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
• 10+ years of engineering management experience
• 5+ years managing developers
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a team
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers’ best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
• Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation