As a UX Designer, you will lead, define, and drive multimodal interfaces (with spoken language aspects) for existing and upcoming Alexa experiences and devices. You must be an innovator, since you will be expected to create solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which no interaction paradigm currently exists. You must be extremely proactive, because you will regularly find yourself in uncharted territory where the key to your success will be to get ahead of the curve. You must be a collaborator, as you will be working side-by-side with product managers and engineers to bring your designs to life. You must be a pragmatic visionary who can translate business needs into leading-edge customer-focused solutions. And most importantly, you must excel at conceptualizing multimodal experiences in the abstract, communicating them effectively to the larger team, and driving that vision into solid design deliverables.
Alexa is the voice-first personal assistant AI available through over 100 million devices and counting.
(Oh, you already know her?)
Sure, she sets timers for your kid’s screentime, plays your favorite music, and turns on your lights.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Every single day, Alexa is getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more. Did you know she can recommend a wine to pair well with your dinner, find the right 20-minute workout for you (or even just a 5-minute workout!), and can deliver a weather report that’s specific to your address?
A day in the life
Your challenge (should you choose to accept it) is to make it easy for anyone and everyone to learn what Alexa can do for them, without searching a list of Alexa Skills, and as simply part of their day-to-day routine. We’re looking for a UX Designer for Alexa Discovery Experiences, not only to help new customers “meet Alexa,” but to help Alexa meet YOU where you are, with the greatest convenience, simplicity, and humanity.
About the hiring group
As a member of a growing design team, you will be responsible for helping prioritize the team’s work and magnifying the impact of the team’s output across organizational boundaries.
• 3+ years of professional experience as a User Experience Designer, Interaction Designer, Information Architect, or similar design-related role.
• Bachelor's degree in interaction design, human-computer (HCI), or related UX degree or equivalent experience.
• An internet-accessible portfolio of your work. Please provide as part of your resume.
• A background in product design, UX design, multimodal design, voice design, conversational design, product design, and/or user research.
• 1+ years experience with voice or multimodal speech interfaces
• Experience working on consumer-facing digital products from inception to launch across a variety of media.
• Demonstrated ability to influence product teams and product decisions via design and research.
• A track record of ground-breaking work from idea discovery & brainstorming through to delivery & learning from live product experiences. You should be able to tell us why you made decisions you made in past work, and how you approach learning & validation in new spaces.
• Exceptional communication (written and verbal), collaboration, and presentation skills.
• Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment.