The Designer, Voice User Experience is responsible for creating user-centered, conversational IVR experiences for Walgreens customers, patients, and prescribers by gathering business and end user requirements; analyzing data; defining information architecture; writing natural-sounding dialogs; conducting usability testing; anticipating user responses; providing input for grammar generation; directing and coaching voice talent; and assisting in testing to ensure the application is functioning as designed.
• Define, represent, and promote user-centered design best practices across all lines of business.
• Produce user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and rigorous user interface specifications
• Confidently defend design rationale used to create solutions in frequent executive-level design reviews.
• Create high level information architecture, sample caller experiences, and personas
• Produce detailed design specifications.
• Draw on depth of experience, but initiate UX research and testing efforts when necessary.
• Create recording scripts, maintain a prompt catalogue, and coach voice talent.
• Analyze performance and real usage data to generate recommendations for optimization and inform UX optimization efforts.
• Drive root cause analyses to respond to UX performance issues.
• Refine experiences based on usability findings and post-deployment analysis and tuning.
• Speak authoritatively on concepts of spoken interaction design in daily iterations with product managers, engineers, and testers.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Graphic Design, Digital Communications design or a related field and at least four years of experience with Voice User Experience, or High School diploma/GED and at least seven years of experience with Voice User Experience.
• At least four years of professional experience with IVR (Interactive Voice Response) application design and as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or hybrid designer.
• Knowledge of speech recognition software applications, experience with voice or multimodal speech interfaces; Working understanding of speech and language technologies i.e. speech recognition (ASR), natural language understanding (NLU), and voice user interfaces (VUI).
• Deep understanding of VUI design patterns and principles and experience using those to create conversational voice user experiences for a large enterprise.
• Experience with voice persona design based on contextual research, demographics, and enterprise branding initiatives.
• Experience with usability prototyping/testing, particularly “Wizard of Oz” method.
• Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within the organization including senior management.
• Experience with planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
• Experience working with cross-teams and synthesizing feedback and input from product management, engineering, and marketing in a collaborative team environment.
• Innovation and Design thinking skills and experience.
• Fluency or near-fluency in Spanish.
• Experience with speech recognition, voice biometrics, and speech synthesis software
• Experience with audio engineering and editing or working in a recording studio.
• Retail and/or healthcare industry experience preferred.
• Expertise in human computer interaction.
• Experience with agile/scrum.
• Background in script writing, creative writing or game design is a plus.
• Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations.