Come help us build Ortho, a software product designed to help technicians save time & money. Ortho is a hands-free voice assistant that allows techs to use look up specs and get an answer within seconds. This role is a blend of deep automotive expertise paired with innovative problem-solving. You’ll take what you know about repairing vehicles today, and imagine what could be tomorrow.
We are looking for a trained and certified automotive technician who would like to apply their real-world expertise in vehicle repair. The ideal candidate would have at least three years of experience in an independent or franchised garage working in the after-market segment. While dealership experience is a plus, we are focused on experience in the after market segment.
This person would be able to explain detailed procedures; steps on the job; components of wiring diagrams; technical service bulletins; and more across a variety of makes and models. The candidate would also understand specifications needed for the job (torque, thickness, capacity, etc.), and brainstorm additional features that would make this voice assistant valuable in the garage. This person should be able to explain the repair business to non-automotive peers in a way that’s meaningful and actionable. They will also be responsible for working with the product team to user test new features and help prioritize the most meaningful features based on an understanding of the auto aftermarket.
In addition to automotive expertise, this person would have an opportunity to expand his/her career to sales or product management functions. Initially, this person would help our sales team visit shops, understand pain points, and translate them into product requirements. This person would be exposed to the software delivery model, and have an immediate impact on our roadmap. No previous software delivery experience necessary, but an interest in technology and innovation is required.
You will thrive in a scrappy, just-do-it environment. You’ll be comfortable figuring out how to creatively solve problems, talk to new people, and work collaboratively with the team. You will bring your deep automotive understanding to think of new solutions for our product that sells successfully in the market among your peers. You will also think deeply about your network and expertise, and apply this knowledge to expand our customer base.
What you’ll do
- Share your automotive expertise in the form of opportunities and pain points
- Explain & document repair information including specs, procedures, wiring diagrams, TSBs, maintenance intervals, diagnostics, parts, labor times, and more
- Brainstorm and articulate what features would be most valuable to bring to market
- Help the team decipher and delineate the needs of different customer segments
- Research automotive datasets to augment our offering
- Break down and prioritize big ideas into actionable roadmap features
- Research gaps in knowledge in the automotive industry through industry connections, search, interviews, job site visits, etc.
- Understand and articulate different roles in the shop and how they might benefit from the product
- Accompany the sales & account team to visit and onboard new customers, attend tradeshows, and network in the industry
- Take ownership of your role and continuously add value as the subject matter expert (SME)
What you’ll bring
- 3+ years hands-on in the automotive mechanical field in independent or franchise garages
- Detailed understanding of the automotive repair process across a variety of makes, models, and repair types
- Basic understanding of where/how to lookup repair information in existing software systems
- General understanding of how specs & repairs vary between makes, models
- Understanding of different roles within the shop environment (owner, service advisor)
- Ability to translate expertise and break down information to non-automotive experts
- Ability to talk to other industry professionals to interview and get additional points of view
- Ability to articulate different user pain points and motivations
- Ability to think about innovative solutions, and continuous improvement
- Patience for solving ambiguous problems and working in a highly collaborative, cohesive team environment
- Comfort in a desk job, collaborative professional environment
- Passion for innovation in the field
Nice to have
- Experience in a myriad of shops or shop roles
- Startup or business experience
- Understanding of voice, smart speakers (Alexa, Google Home)
Education / Environmental
- Certified tech
- HS Diploma+
- Fluent English
- Proficient with computers, keyboards and fundamental office products
- Familiarity with video conferencing, working across time zones