We are seeking an outstanding Natural Language Processing/Machine Learning Research Scientist to join our growing Trust & Safety / Algorithmic Impact team.
What You'll Do
• You will apply your scientific knowledge to analyze and collect data, identify problems, devise solutions and construct methodologies related to algorithmic impact, content moderation and policy enforcement, and conduct studies and experiments to validate new approaches.
• You will develop proactive and scalable signals for detecting abusive content across audio, text, image, and video formats.
• You will conduct research to support data-based investigations into potential content and behavioral abuses, and improve the effectiveness of interventions and proactive signals to detect abuses.
• You will convert content policies and different perspectives on online and offline harm and current trends into the development of new technologies to address those abuses at scale. You will translate expert leads and new external insights into concrete signals and analyses, and contribute to a deeper understanding of the safety landscape.
• You will convert content policies and different perspectives on online and offline harm and current trends into the development of new technologies to address those abuses at scale.
• You will work in collaboration with other research scientists, policy managers, data scientists, and other cross-functional partners to research, evaluate, and iterate on signals to ensure that content and algorithmic policies can be developed and enforced consistently and at scale around the world.
• You will have direct policy and product impact, while furthering a long-term research roadmap, and you will maintain active in the research community.
• You must be comfortable reviewing or being exposed to sensitive content, and having related conversations with colleagues.
Who You Are
• You have a sophisticated understanding of natural language processing and information retrieval
• You have a PhD in one of natural language processing, computer science, machine learning, information retrieval, HCI or related areas
• You are a collaborative teammate with validated experience to work cross functionally, and have great mentoring and leadership skills.
• You have a deep interest in online safety trends and the global landscape, and a passion for platform responsibility around podcasts, music and user-generated content.
• You have previous experience handling partners in urgent and sensitive situations, and communicating with leadership. This includes communication and presenting clear in-depth results and their limitations to partners without research or engineering backgrounds.
• You have prior publications in research communities such as WWW, RecSys, SIGIR, ICML, AAAI, ACL, EMNLP, CHI or related.
• You possess solid hands-on skills in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating, analyzing, visualizing and modeling of real data
• You are able to break complex problems into manageable steps that have an immediate impact on critical, real-world projects, without losing sight of long-term roadmaps.
Where You'll Be
• We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
• Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location
• Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
• Working hours? We mostly operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration
Our global benefits
• Extensive learning opportunities, through our dedicated team, GreenHouse.
• Flexible share incentives letting you choose how you share in our success.
• Global parental leave, six months off - fully paid - for all new parents.
• All The Feels, our employee assistance program and self-care hub.
• Flexible public holidays, swap days off according to your values and beliefs.
• Spotify On Tour, join your colleagues on trips to industry festivals and events.
Learn about life at Spotify
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 381 million users.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado.