We’re seeking an innovative, expansive thinker to provide both inspiration and organizational leadership and lead our design vision, strategy and implementation of an array of experiences across the Assistant portfolio of products, including: mobile (iOS+Android), Automotive, Wearables, TV, other home devices (Google Home, Smart Displays, etc) and more. A key area of responsibility is developing our team’s collective muscle for delivering high-fidelity, increasingly expressive designs across a growing ecosystem of surfaces and modalities. This role will report to the VP of User Experience and partner closely with the heads of PM and Engineering for the Assistant, in addition to UX leads for User Research, Creative and Engineering and Operations. You'll be responsible for driving a healthy, inclusive culture and orchestrating across a broad range of functions and features to produce nonpareil designs and ensure collaboration, transparency and clarity between multiple offices, teams and functions.
You're a diplomatic leader with a strong point of view, serving as a vanguard for expressive design and new standards. You have an uncanny sense for envisioning and driving high-order logistics that will help scale the team and function and promote a high bar for craft and quality across the organization. The role will significantly influence the experience and cultural norms of billions of global users so an unfailing passion and capacity to advocate on behalf of users is a must. Accordingly, it is critical that you have a prowess for empathetic, inclusive design that accounts for end-to-end user journeys which extend across a manifold of users, geographies, devices, products and services.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
• Provide vision and direction for a rapidly growing Assistant UX team of over 140 direct and indirect reports.
• Drive operational and execution excellence, while leading creative and holistic thinking at scale across diverse product releases, platforms, and devices.
• Advocate effectively on behalf of the Assistant UX teams and their users, empowering them visibly and behind the scenes.
• Build relationships and operating rhythms with leaders inside and outside of the Assistant at Google, to socialize and synthesize experiences that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed.
• Provide indirect leadership across our broader, multi-disciplinary UX organization to guide our collective ongoing evolution of UX and organizational best practices at the company.
• Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Interaction or equivalent practical experience.
• 5 years of experience in C-level roles creating strategy and designing products.
• Experience designing/developing for front-end mobile and web technologies. Experience working collaboratively with designers, product managers and engineers.
• A portfolio demonstrating your work.
• Experience leading large teams and driving organizational design, career development, operations and culture – both within UX organizations and in partnership with PM and Engineering teams.
• Track record of contributions to innovative, successful products and UI Platforms.
• Fluency in roles, methods, processes and best practices for user-centered design.
• Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in an agile environment.
• Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage and prioritize work.
• Excellent presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills with the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of an organization.