We’re looking for a motivated researcher to join us at Rasa. The position offers the opportunity to have a huge impact at an early stage startup.
As a Remote first company, we believe that the internet is where the work happens, an office is just somewhere you can connect to the internet. We believe that everyone can make a difference at Rasa no matter where they are based. We have 2 research groups, in Berlin, Germany and Edinburgh, UK, so if you would prefer to work on site you can join either of those locations.
About This Role
We invest in research to make Rasa the only serious choice for building conversational AI. Pushing the limits of what AI assistants can do is the focus of the entire company.
We don’t draw a hard line between our research and engineering teams, we all work on the same stack and share work, knowledge, and tools. Your work will be used by thousands of developers all over the world, and you’ll spend time with our community to get inspiration and feedback. We’re not here to chase SotA on established benchmarks. To do research that really helps our community, you'll have to come up with new questions to ask, new experiments to conduct, and break an ambitious long-term vision down into measurable milestones.
You can check out some of our projects on our research page.
We do fundamental research, and we ship commercial quality software that puts it to use. Because research is so close to engineering, you’ll quickly learn a lot about APIs, Docker, deployment, continuous integration, and what it takes to write production code.
• When someone presents the results of an experiment, you ask questions that cut to the heart of the matter.
• You take pride in teaching and learning from teammates, and enjoy constructive peer review in a respectful environment.
• You can effectively communicate what you’re working on with non-technical team members and work with people across all areas of the company—from marketing and business development to UX design.
• You have a proven record of NLP research in academia or industry.
• You love using machine learning to solve tough problems, and have demonstrable experience doing so.
• You are comfortable with the mathematics behind machine learning.
Please keep in mind that we are describing the background we imagine would best fit the role. Even if you don’t meet all the requirements, yet you are confident that you are up for the task, we absolutely want to get to know you!
Things You Will Do
We’re a startup, so you’ll have to be comfortable rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever is required to support our mission. However, you can definitely expect to:
• Take research from an initial idea all the way to a merged PR in our open source libraries.
• Speak to the Rasa community (developers who use our libraries) to help prioritize our research roadmap, and assess the impact of the research we’ve shipped.
• Design and conduct experiments that bring us closer to our vision.
• Collaborate on research papers.
What You Can Expect From Us
• Flexible hours, work from home when you need to
• 1000 Euros personal development fund to help you grow within your role
• 26 days paid holiday per year
• A new Macbook, and other Tech to help you to do your job
• We have regular team events, as well as regular social events
• 2 team offsites every year, our last one was 3 days in beautiful Brandenburg.
Rasa supplies the standard infrastructure for conversational AI, providing the tools required to build better, more resilient contextual assistants. With more than 3 million downloads since launch, Rasa Open Source is loved by developers worldwide, with a friendly, fast-growing community learning from each other and working together to make better text- and voice-based AI assistants.
Rasa offers three key products in its suite of conversational AI offering. Rasa Open Source is the most popular open source software in conversational AI. Rasa X, released in 2019, is a free toolset that helps developers quickly improve and share an AI assistant built with Rasa Open Source. Rasa Enterprise is the company's commercial offering, providing an enterprise-grade platform for developing contextual assistants at scale. Rasa runs in production everywhere from startups to Fortune 500s, and provides the data privacy and security needed to enterprises of every size.
Rasa is privately held, with funding from Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, Basis Set Ventures, and others. The company was founded in 2016 and has offices in Berlin, Germany and Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
Rasa is an equal opportunity employer. We are still a small team and are committed to growing in an inclusive manner. We want to augment our team with talented, compassionate people irrespective of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.